People living in 5 border regions in Greece and 4 regions in the Republic of North Macedonia are benefiting from the Interreg IPA Cross-border Cooperation Programme "Greece - Republic of North Macedonia 2014-2020". The Programme is worth more than EUR 45 million, with a contribution from the European Union of nearly EUR 39 million from the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA).
The Programme supports regional cooperation between Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia. The Programme's overall objective is to enhance territorial cohesion by improving living standards and employment opportunities holding respect to the environment and by using the natural resources for upgrading of the tourism product.
The Interreg IPA CBC Programme "Greece - Republic of North Macedonia 2014-2020" was approved by the European Commission on August 6, 2015 by decision C (2015) 5655.
The total budget allocated to the Programme is 45.470.066,00€, out of which 38.649.552,00€ (85%) is Union Support and the 6.820.514,00€ (15%) the National Counterpart.
The Programme is built upon the following three Priority Axes;
Priority Axis 1: Development and Support of Local Economy
Priority Axis 2: Protection of Environment – Transportation
Priority Axis 3: Technical support
- Improved health and social services for the population living in the cross-border region
- Further jobs created in the tourism sector
- Improved access to local transport infrastructures, faster connections to main corridors, efficient border crossing services, transport services using innovative technologies
- Improved waste management or recycling systems
- Improved measures addressing natural risks (floods, forest fires) and environment protection